Social Harmony Contest
Social Harmony Writing Contest
The main purpose of this writing contest is for you to come up with ideas on how to promote cultural understanding and social harmony. You are encouraged to write an essay on how to improve the race/ethnic relations in our society. You may use a personal experience/observation, current event, history, literature or other to support your idea.
II. Contest Rules
1. You must be a high school or middle/junior high school student in Suffolk County (private or public school).
2. The essay must be in English, word processed or typed, double spaced and in Times New Roman and 12 point font. The length of the paper should be between 3 to 5 pages. All entries will become the property of Asian-American Advisory Board and will not be returned.
3. In addition to your essay, you also need to submit an application form (visit http://www.scaaab.org to download the form)
4. Entrant’s name should be shown on the last page of the essay. Mail one application form and two copies of your essay to:
Suffolk County Executive
Office Office of Minority Affairs
c/o Nikki Gins, AAAB
P.O. Box 1600
100 Veterans Memorial Highway
Hauppauge, NY 11788-0099
5. Submission deadline: March 30, 2018.
6. All eligible entries will be judged on the following criteria:
a. Quality of content and adherence to theme b. Originalityc. Writing style and grammar
7. Winners will be announced in the SCAAAB’s website http://www.scaaab.org on May 11, 2018
III. Awards Presentation
There will be 3 winners for each group (high school or middle/junior high)
1. A certificate of accomplishment will be awarded by the Suffolk County Executive and Asian-American Advisory Board.
2. Monetary award amounts are:
1st place – $250 2nd place – $150 3rd place – $100
3. All winners and their families will be invited to an award ceremony scheduled to take place during the Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month Celebration on May 26, 2018 at the Thai Cultural center, Centereach, NY.
IV. Direct any questions to Nikki Gins at firstname.lastname@example.org